Take me out to the ballgame, family-style
Sunshine, peanuts and singing the National Anthem at the top of your lungs. What’s more American than baseball?
Treat the family to an American tradition they’ll never forget -- and we’re not talking a trip to the corner sandlot. Reno-Tahoe is lucky enough to have the Reno Aces, its very own minor league baseball team that plays downtown at Greater Nevada Field.
We’ve compiled a list of things your kids (and you!) will love when you take them to a game.
Take me out to the ballgame
- Kids run the bases: After select games, children 12 and under can retrace the quick steps of their favorite ball player and know what it’s like to round third on a pro field.
- Fireworks Fridays (and sometimes Saturdays): As the sky turns to night and the final inning is over, turn your eyes upward for a spectacular fireworks show and celebratory end to a good game of ball.
- Kids Zone: When the kids get squirmy (or even more dreaded, bored) and the seventh-inning-stretch is still a ways off, take a break to the centerfield corner, where children 12 and under can get their sillies out on playground equipment and climbing toys.
- Archie: The Ace’s big red fluffball of a mascot is Archie, who hams it up for the fans, poses for photo ops and visits children in local hospitals during his off time.
- Archie’s Kids Club: Children 12 and under can sign up online (or their parents can for them) to Archie’s Kids Club, a no-cost membership program for kids that offers free admission to 12 home games, the opportunity to meet Aces players, “express lane” entry to run the bases, kids club-only events and the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to yell, “PLAY BALL” over the PA system before Sunday home games.
- Kids Eat Free: For select dates, the first 500 kids 12 and under through the entry gates receive a free hot dog, a small soda and a small bag of candy.
- Baby changing areas and family bathrooms: It’s a perk for the parents and very worth mentioning. Baby changing stations are available in every restroom at the Greater Nevada Field, so mom and dad can take turns changing their little slugger. Family restrooms are also available on the concourse level.
To view the Reno Aces’s schedule and calendar of promotional events, including kids run the bases and Fireworks Friday, visit www.renoaces.com.