10 reasons to plan a last minute trip to Reno
It's hard to believe July is at the halfway mark. Fortunately, we still have a lot of summer days ahead of us, so there's plenty of time to plan a last minute trip to Reno. You certainly won't be lacking for things to do as we enter the dog days of summer.
- Check out one of Artown's signature events, The Reno Fashion Show, at The Atlantis on Saturday, July 18. A number of local and international designers will be debuting their new lines at the show, including the Reno Fashion Show debut of SophiMora, the designer behind a line of junior's dresses. Cailean Sterling, a 17 year model, will also return to the runway after having a brain tumor removed last year and there will be a performance by Naima Mora, winner of season four of America's Next Top Model. Showtime is 6 p.m. and tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door.
- If you're in the mood to pull on your cowboy boots and get All Jacked Up, Novi at The Eldorado is the hot spot, starting July 18. The hot new nightclub is offering no cover, live country bands, line dancing lessons, $12 all-you-can-drink Jack Daniel's mixed drinks and $3 Jack Fire and Jack Honey.
- If you love Mexican food, head over to Cantina at Grand Sierra Resort. Not only do they have more than 115 different types of tequila to choose from, they've made some new additions to the menu recently, including table side guacamole, chili cheese relleno, and chili Colorado. Check out the full menu right here and plan to come hungry! Try the Acapulco Sunrise, a blend of tequila, Malibu, lime juice, pineapple, Curacao, Chambord, and soda.
- If you love ballet and comedy, you won't want to miss Coppelia and the Dancing Dolls, at the Nugget, a 19th century ballet that tells the story of a magical toy maker, his beloved doll, and an insanely jealous young maiden who will do anything to save her one true love. The show will be performed July 17 at 8 p.m. and July 18 at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Tickets are $19.95 for adults, $24.95 for VIP seats, $14.95 for children under 12, and $16.95 for seniors.
- Al Pacino himself will be performing at the Peppermill for one night only on July 18 and you won't want to miss this special show. Pacino got his start as Michael Corleone in The Godfather trilogy and now has nearly 50 films to his credit, along with performances in numerous Broadway productions. Showtime is 8 p.m. Contact the Peppermill for ticket information.
- Catch Lyle Lovett at the Silver Legacy on Friday, July 17 for a one night only performance. With a career that spans 14 albums, seeing Lovett perform is a special and unique opportunity, so you won't want to miss this show. Lovett blends country, jazz, swing, folk, and gospel to create a stage-defying show you won't regret saying you saw. Showtime is 8 p.m. and tickets are $49.50-$62.50.
- Spend an evening with Keb Mo at Cargo at Whitney Peak, right in the heart of downtown Reno. The roots music storyteller released his most recent album, BLUESAmericana, back in April and is now on tour promoting it. BLUESAmericana is his twelfth studio album that also marks the twentieth anniversary of the release of his first album. Showtime is 9 p.m. and tickets are $32.50.
- Spend Sunday, July 19 at the Nevada Museum of Art enjoying a delicious brunch at chez louie while listening to the delightful music of Colin Ross. Brunch is from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and is free for the general public and museum members, however, reservations are strongly encouraged.
- If you'd rather soak up the sun during the day, head over to Lake Tahoe for a day at the beach. There are dozens of beaches to choose from all around the lake, but you can't go wrong at Sand Harbor. It's $5 a car to park, but the soft sand and gorgeous cool blue water make it totally worth it. Pack a picnic and a good book and plan to spend the entire day. Head back to Reno in time for dinner. Heritage at Whitney Peak is always a good option. Chef Mark Estee brings the farm to the table with a selection of fresh menu items and great drinks. Try the Morty Dog for a unique twist on the traditional hot dog: Chinese mustard, spicy kim chee, jalapeño, and cilantro are the toppings of choice here.
- Indulge your inner superhero with the Superhero Crawl on Saturday, July 18. More than 20 bars are participating in this all night pub crawl that starts in the Harrah's Plaza at 8 p.m. Purchase a cup in advance for $5 and come prepared to win prizes, including a chance to win passes to the 2015 Wizard World Comic Con of Reno. There will also be $3 drink and beer specials at all of the participating bars.