As the weather warms up, so does the chili at Virginia City’s 33rd annual Chili on the Comstock May 14 and 15.
The event brings the heat to the Comstock from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day with more than 30 professional chili cooks. On Saturday, May 14, hundreds of revelers participate in the Cemetery Gin Fireball Saloon Crawl, a sampling of themed beverages from Virginia City’s historic saloons.
Returning for the second year is the Fun with the Runs 5K, Sunday, May 15, starting on the town’s main drag, C Street. The run starts at 10 a.m. with runners and walkers making their way through the hilly Virginia City terrain back to the cook-off venue. Participants are encouraged to dress in costume with winners to be selected prior to the race.
Family-friendly activities also include the Kids Zone with a bungee trampoline, giant slide and bounce house. Single tickets sold the day of the event.
Tasting kits are available online for discounted prices at VisitVirginiaCityNV.com.
Kits and Costs
- $5 “Cautious Tester” includes four tastings; $8 at event
- $10 “Daring Tester” includes 10 tastings; $15 at event
- $40 “Family Pack” includes 20 tasting tickets and two Kids Zone passes; $50 at event
- $85 “Hot Chili and Chilled Brew-Party of 4” package includes 40 tasting tickets and four saloon crawl cups; $95 at event
- Fireball Saloon Crawl cups are available online for $15 until April 1; $20 through May 13, and $25 at event