Overall Vibe of the Neighborhood: Spanish Springs is a census designated area in the northeastern part of the Reno/Sparks metro area. The area is home to the historic Sky Ranch Airport, home to the 1964 and 1965 Reno Air Races. Later, it was home to the Rocketdyne Nevada Field Laboratory, used for testing rocket engines for the space program. Sky Ranch closed in 1971 and the land is now home to the Spanish Springs airport.
What should I know about this neighborhood?
Spanish Springs is about 25 minutes from Reno via I-80. Lazy 5 Regional Park is also a great place to take the kids. There are also free concerts during the summer and other activities throughout the year.
- Overview of the neighborhood facts:
Cost of Living: The cost of living in Spanish Springs is nearly 10% higher than the
- Nevada average and nearly 13.5% higher than the national average.
- Median Household Income: The median income for a household is $71,345.
- Median Home Prices: The median home value in 2012 (the most recent data) was $193,932 compared to $150,700 for the whole of Nevada.
- People with Children Under 18: Just over 30% of the population is children under 18 with most families being made up of 3.20 people. The average household is made up of 2.99 people.
- Diversity: The area is predominantly Caucasian with Native Americans and Hispanic being the next most popular racial groups.
- Crime Rates: The annual crime rate in Spanish Springs is 2,340 crimes per 100,000 people. Violent crimes are 321 per 100,000 people and property crime is 2,019 per 100,000 people.
- Who Lives Here?: According to the 2010 census, there were 15,064 people living in the area.